|Registration Opens||Feb 3, 2019 7:00pm|
|Registration Closes||Apr 20, 2019 8:00pm or when space runs out.|
|Age Limit||18 and up|
What we want people to do:
Sign up to be an MDA Summer Camp volunteer counselor or medical staff team member and help improve the lives of kids in their community who have muscular dystrophy and related diseases that severely limit muscle strength and mobility.
MDA Summer Camp is a life-changing experience for kids with muscular dystrophy and related muscle-debilitating diseases.
· Kids with muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy and related life-threatening diseases face daily challenges that often make “just being a kid” difficult. As their muscles progressively get weaker, children may lose basic functions such as walking, dressing, eating, talking or even breathing. Some children may require 24-hour care from parents or another caregiver.
· MDA Summer Camp gives kids ages 8-17 the freedom to be kids with others who are just like them during a life-changing week of fun and friendship — all at no cost to their families.
· Through the magic of summer camp, MDA offers a world of possibilities and awesome adventures to campers — from swimming and horseback riding to zip-lining, adaptive sports and camp dances. It’s truly a place where kids can live unlimited.
· MDA relies on the support and dedication of volunteer counselors who are by campers’ sides day and night so that they can do all the fun activities that summer camp offers.
· Counselors, who serve as a “buddy” for the week, push wheelchairs, lift and transfer youngsters and provide assistance with activities as needed. They also participate in activities with the campers.
Why you should volunteer at MDA Summer Camp:
· Volunteering at MDA Summer Camp will enrich your life and inspire you in ways you never dreamed possible. You will help kids discover new interests, build self-confidence and experience the independence of being away from home in a safe environment where barriers don’t exist.
· You will enhance your résumé when applying for scholarships, college, graduate school, employment, etc.
· You will develop important leadership skills while simultaneously giving back to your community.
· Camp provides a remarkable opportunity for volunteers to meet new people, build lifelong friendships with fellow counselors and create lasting memories for children living with muscle-debilitating diseases.
How to sign up and learn more today:
|Social||Website Facebook Instagram|
At MDA Summer Camp, volunteer counselors work with campers around the clock, providing the care, close supervision and attention children with muscular dystrophy and related diseases need.
• Be at least 18 years of age;
• Be able to lift and care for campers and assist with their needs;
• Complete an application and submit two references if a you are a new volunteer;
• Have a medical exam within the past year;
• Present up-to-date immunization records;
• Receive a favorable criminal background check;
• Complete an interview with MDA staff;
• Be able to follow MDA-established rules and policies;
• Always be willing to put the campers’ needs first; and
• Attend a pre-camp training session that will help inspire confidence in being a counselor.
|Causes||Children & Youth Clinical Services Community Early Childhood Education Education General Service Health Mental Health Services Mentor Non-Profit Business Services Persons with Disabilities Research STEM|
|Skills||Tutoring Mentoring Emergency Service Responder Medical Care Taker Fundraising Arts and Crafts Teaching Artistic Help Help w/People Learning/Education Child Care First Aid/CPR Health Care Research|
|Sustainable Development Goals|