The Legal Intern will work with the Staff Attorneys in the Removal Defense Unit in all aspects of case screening and representation including, conducting intakes, conducting legal research, preparing documentation for submission to the local immigration court, preparing clients for their hearing before the court, representing clients before the court and other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Staff Attorneys or Executive Director. DMRS serves both detained and non-detained individuals that reside within our service area. Depending on client needs, the Legal Intern may assist with applications for Cancellation of Removal for both LPRs and Non-LPRs, asylum, VAWA petitions, U and T visas, Requests for bond, and other applications for relief, as appropriate.
Interview potential clients to discuss possible representation
• Assist the Staff Attorneys in the preparation of their cases for court
• Assist in the representation of clients, including entering appearances before the Immigration Court
• Assist with legal or factual research and preparation of pleadings or applications for relief
• Review materials and legal updates related to clients;
• Attend CLEs every two weeks.
• Minimum one year of law study, with a preference for candidates who have taken immigration law, an immigration law clinic, or who have assisted with asylum or other related legal work;
• Proficiency in Spanish and English;
• Demonstrated commitment to serving immigrant populations;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Strong organizational and research skills.
SCHEDULE/TIME COMMITMENT: 10-20 hours per week
ORIENTATION/TRAINING: General DMRS training with DMRS Development Coordinator 1-2 hours; position specific training provided by DMRS Development Coordinator on an as needed basis. All volunteers and interns must undergo a free background check and free Safe Environments Training. All volunteers must have either a laptop or tablet with keyboard that can be brought to DMRS for their use.
Ø Hone interpersonal skills
Ø Network with committed non-profit professionals
Ø Assist in organizational growth
Ø Expand your resume
Ø Learn about the non-profit world
Ø Increase professional confidence
7 Positions Filled | 5 Impacts | 99 Hours